Savory & Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Sandwich
The air feels crisp, and the days are growing shorter. The wind blows through the trees and leaves rustle as they turn from green to vibrant oranges, golds, and reds. It’s the perfect time to bundle up, snuggle under a comfortable blanket, or wrap your fingers around a mug of something warm. And of course, pumpkins and pumpkin spice are suddenly popping up everywhere. But! Pumpkin is not the only popular squash to indulge in this season. Autumn is also the perfect time to break out those recipes using butternut squash!
As its name suggests, butternut squash has a lovely nutty flavor that pairs excellently with savory ingredients. In the following recipe, I combined butternut squash with flavors such as garlic, arugula, tahini, and Yellowbird Sriracha: a clean, 100% organic option for your hot sauce needs. And who doesn’t want a bit of spice to warm their bones on a chilly day? But the hero of any sandwich is some quality, delicious bread. We used our Plantiful Everything Bagel Bread; grain free, gluten free, and paleo friendly, this incredible and nutritious bread brings an amazing depth of flavor to the sandwich.
This meal is the perfect way to spice up your fall day!
Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches):
- 4 slices of Plantiful Everything Bagel Bread toasted
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cut in slices
- 1 handful arugula
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Smoked paprika
For the Sriracha Sauce:
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp Yellowbird Sriracha
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 F convection setting.
- Place the butternut squash on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and smoked paprika to season. Bake for 30 minutes until soft. Remove from oven and set aside. (you can use an air fryer instead)
- As the squash is cooking, place the tahini, almond milk, garlic, sriracha, lemon juice, and pinch of salt into a powerful blender. Blend until smooth, adding water 1 tbsp at a time as needed to reach desired consistency.
- To assemble your sandwiches, place arugula on the bottom halves of the toasted bagels, then the roasted butternut squash slices. Spread 1 tbsp of the sriracha sauce on the top halves of the bagels, and place on top.