Skip to content
Several years ago, avocado toast became all the rage. While some naysayers judged millennials for not being content with butter on their toast, a lot of us realized this was a scrumptious and hearty meal. You can now indulge in avocado toast at tons of restaurants for breakfast or brunch, and many places put their own spin on the dish by adding ingredients like tomatoes or seeds.
I wanted to take the avocado toast sensation and make a recipe that is unique, healthy, and overall super filling. With that in mind, I decided to use a superior base, our grain-free, clean-ingredient Sesame Bread as well as pine nuts and mushrooms for flavor and nourishment. Pine nuts have a wonderful crunch, and a mild, sweet flavor. They also have an almost buttery texture because they are high in oil. Mushrooms are a terrific “healthy gut” food, and the only non-animal source of vitamin D. This is a wonderful way to start your day, get through the midday slump, or savor for an energizing dinner.
Did you know? 2 slices of this creation deliver a whopping 22g of fiber ensuring not only a delicious but deeply satisfying meal.
Ingredients (serves 2):
For the Avocado Base:
1 large avocado
1 small handful parsley
1 clove garlic, peeled
½ lemon, juiced
1 tbs olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
For the Mushrooms:
3 ½ cups mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbs pine nuts
1 lemon, juiced
Drizzle of olive oil
Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
Big pinch smoked paprika
1. Toast your bread until it's nicely browned and the edges are slightly crispy.
2. Add all of the avocado base ingredients into a bowl. Mash them with a fork until broken down, but still a little chunky.
3. Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet and cook over medium heat. Add mushrooms, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and paprika and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
4. Spread the avocado mixture evenly across slices and top with the mushrooms from the skillet, some fresh parsley, a pinch of black pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.